Drug agents: Man burned in honey oil lab blast near 7 kids
OROVILLE, Calif. - A man was taken to the hospital and seven children were taken into protective custody after investigators said a honey oil lab exploded in Oroville. The explosion was reported around 8 p.m. Tuesday in the 5300 block of Walmer Road in Oroville. According to a news release from the Butte County Interagency Task Force (BINTF), Isaiah Rutherford, 28, was manufacturing butane honey oil in a small bathroom inside the residence. The lab exploded, starting a fire. El Medio Fire Department responded and put out the fire. BINTF agents said at the time of the explosion, there were five adults and seven children inside the home. The children ranged in age from 2 to 12 years old. Rutherford was the only one injured. One of the people at the home took him Oroville Hospital for treatment of major burns.
John Loewe of the Oroville Mirror newspaper reported the victim was prepped for an emergency flight to U.C. Davis Medical Center Burn Center. Agents said it appears Rutherford was the only person involved with the manufacturing of butane honey oil. The investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made at this time. All seven children were turned over to the care and custody of the social workers.