MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire causes $15,000 worth of damage to Eureka restaurant

fire-1507066960970-8830547-ver1-0.jpg

EUREKA, Calif. - On Saturday, Nov. 30, Humboldt Bay Fire (HBF) responded to a reported structure fire at 519 Opera Alley in Old Town Eureka.

Upon arrival, firefighters said they found light smoke coming from a wall in the alley side of the Oberon Grill restaurant. As fire crews opened the wall, they said they located a rapidly growing fire in the concealed wall and ceiling spaces of the building. Smoke was seen increasing in the restaurant and the above apartment. HBF said crews were responding to additional medical aid at the time and had just returned from another structure fire prior to the report of this incident.

HBF officials said they requested a "Commercial Second Alarm" which initiated response from the Arcata Fire Protection District, Fortuna Fire Department, Samoa Peninsula Fire District and Loleta Fire Protection District. As additional resources arrived on scene, fire personnel ensured that everyone was out of the building and accessed areas of fire in the walls, ceiling and floor. The fire chief said older buildings like this one have concealed spaces and structural features that hinder firefighters.

HBF said the cause of the fire appears to be accidental and possibly originated in an electrical outlet. Damages are estimated at $15,000, according to HBF.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending