MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Top headlines: Wednesday, December 13

wednesday-top-520171213144015-jpg-9664219-ver1-0.jpg

Here are the top headlines for Wednesday, December 13.

Suspected kidnapper to appear in court

Johanna Knighten, 33, is scheduled to appear in court in Redding Wednesday at 8:30 a.m.

Knighten and a male associate are accused of kidnapping a Redding woman and dumping her in the woods November 26.

They allegedly assaulted her and left her barely dressed near Old Station. The woman was found by a family searching for a Christmas tree.

Knighten has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

To read more about this story, click here.

Police search for robbery, assault suspects

Redding police are searching for suspects they said were involved in a robbery and assault Tuesday night.

Police said a group assaulted a 23-year-old man near Ace Hardware on Eureka Way at approximately 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. They allegedly stole his backpack and clothes and were seen leaving driving away in a dark four-door sedan.

To read more about this story, click here.

Doug Jones wins Alabama Senate election

Democratic candidate Doug Jones has won the special election senate seat in Alabama. Moore's election will bring the republican majority in the senate down to 51-49.

Republican candidate Roy Moore is asking for a recount on the votes but Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill said the results are unlikely to change.

President Trump tweeted about the election Wednesday morning, saying:

"The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!"

To read more about this story, click here.

Commercial Dungeness crab season delayed again

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) have delayed the commercial crab fishing season for Humboldt, Del Norte and Mendocino counties.

The CDFW said a recent test showed the crabs are still not ready to be harvested. It imposed an additional 15-day delay Tuesday.

The season is now scheduled to open December 31 but another upcoming test could delay it again.

To read more about this story, click here.

Thomas Fire reaches 237,500 acres overnight, remains 25 percent contained

Firefighters said the Thomas Fire grew another thousand acres Wednesday morning but containment remains the same at 25 percent.

CAL FIRE said the fire is threatening Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, Summerland, Montecito and surrounding areas.

So far, 701 homes, 12 commercial structures and 182 minor structures have been destroyed.

Wind gusts are predicted to reach up to 40 mph or higher in parts of Ventura and Los Angeles counties with continued low humidity levels.

To read more about this story, click here.

Trending