Accidental shooting leads Chico police to hit-and-run suspect


CHICO, Calif. - An accidental shooting in Chico led police to the suspect involved in a hit-and-run that occurred earlier Wednesday.

Around 4 p.m. November 1, Chico Police were called to an apartment complex in the 1200 block of W. Sacramento Avenue regarding two men involved in a fight. When the first officer arrived on scene, he found one man, 19-year-old Tristyn Jones of Chico, walking down the sidewalk from the complex with blood on his face. Jones was detained and determined to be involved in the fight.

As that officer was talking with Jones, he heard the sound of a gunshot from the quad area of the apartment complex. Moments later, another man, 18-year-old Danny Salazar of Chico, exited the same apartment complex with several wounds and blood on him. Salazar was treated by medics at the scene during his detention.

The investigation revealed that after Salazar and Jones fought, Salazar went back to his apartment and obtained an illegal short-barreled shotgun. Salazar went back outside and apparently went to look for Jones, but Jones was gone.

According to police, while Salazar walked through the quad, the shotgun accidently went off. Shotgun pellets grazed both of his legs, causing minor injuries. He was later taken to a nearby hospital where he was medically cleared. No buildings were struck and no other citizens were involved or injured.

Salazar was identified as the driver of a hit and run collision that occurred earlier in the day.

The investigating officer from the collision obtained images from a camera near the incident. That same officer was also at the scene of the shooting and recognized Salazar and his friends from the surveillance images. Salazar had collided into several parked cars but fortunately, nobody was injured.

Salazar was charged with negligent discharge of a firearm, possession of a loaded firearm in public, possession of an illegal, short-barreled shotgun, and leaving the scene of a collision. He was taken to Butte County Jail and was held on $36,000 bail.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off