Teen dies after ingesting poison he thought was cocaine


An unidentified 16-year-old boy died early Tuesday morning after ingesting an unknown substance that they believed to be cocaine.

According to the Anderson Police Department the 16-year-old and two other teens, ages 13 and 16, were rushed to the hospital after they ingested what they thought was cocaine. The substance turned out to be a "lethal poison or arsenic of some type."

One of the 16-year-old teens died from the poison, the two others survived but according to police are still suffering from the effects of the poison.

"This horrific event could just as easily be any one of our young teens in Shasta County," said Anderson Police Chief Michael Johnson in a press release. "I urge you to tell this story to your children and family members. Drugs are unsafe and purchasing/using substances that are exchanged on the street is a gamble that can have life ending consequences."

This incident is still under investigation, anyone with information is urged to call Anderson police at 530-378-6600