Two dead at Redding home; one killed by police


REDDING, Calif. - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office is investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting while the Redding Police Department investigates a related homicide.

It happened just before 2 a.m. in the 1600 block of Willis Street in downtown.

According to deputies, Redding police were responding to a stabbing call when they were confronted by a suspect with a large butcher's knife. He failed to comply with orders and was shot by three officers. He died in the front yard.

Autumn Spohn lives next door and said she heard it all. "We woke up to the boom boom boom boom! And my husband immediately grabbed me up and threw me down on the floor trying to protect me," she said.

Shortly after, a man was found dead inside the home of multiple stab wounds. Detectives believed that man was killed by the suspect who was ultimately killed by police.

Neighbors said the family that lives in that home is quiet and never had any problems with the neighbors.

"They're an Indian family, really quiet they are nice they just got back from a cruise," said Robbin Clements, a neighbor. "The kid that had gotten killed -- he used to ride a skateboard up and down here every night."

Willis Street was shut down between Placer and Butte for the initial stages of the investigation, but has since re-opened.

The incident has left many people in the area worried.

" I''m planning on moving out of here soon," said Spohn.

"Now after this my kids aren't going out to play for a while. We're taking them out of here. I don't want them around here right now," said Clements.

The Sheriff's Office is leading the investigation in accordance with the Multi-Agency Critical Incident Protocol.

The three involved officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. While that may take some time, deputies tell KRCR News Channel 7 they believe the officers fired "out of fear for their personal safety, the other officers' safety, and the safety of family members on scene."

No officers were hurt, and no names have been released.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off