MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse temporarily relocated

The Cher-Ae Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria, the Trinidad Civic Club and the Yurok Tribe have agreed to a new temporary location for the Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse and Bell.

Officials say over the course of multiple meetings, the above-listed organizations developed a plan to move the monument, which stood for almost 70 years on Civic Club Property in the City of Trinidad, above the historic Tsurai Village Site. The plan was created after the Trinidad Civic Club was notified that the lighthouse was in danger of sliding from its current location on the bluffs overlooking Trinidad Bay in mid-2017. If the steep slope had completely failed, it could have done damage to portions of sacred Tsurai Village land.


On Jan. 5, 2018, the stakeholders arrived at a consensus regarding the lighthouse's temporary relocation. The parties agreed to move the monument from the Civic Club Property to the Trinity Rancheria Harbor Property, where it will be staged until a permanent location is identified.

Prior to the settlement discussions, a large group of Native and non-Native citizens advocated for the protection of the village and funerary remains by occupying the site for 12 days.

The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse, built in 1949, contains a lens from the original Trinidad Head Lighthouse, which was built in 1871. The Memorial Lighthouse and Bell will be relocated prior to the end of January. The Memorial Lighthouse, Bell, and the plaques commemorating those buried or lost at sea will be moved to a permanent location once the appropriate permitting process is completed and the final location is identified.


Trending