Woman recalls harrowing birth of child while her Paradise home burned

    Kamber Wright holds 3-month-old Grayson

    He doesn't know it now but when Grayson James Wright is old enough to speak, he'll have quite a story to tell about how he came into the world.

    "Oh, it was terrifying," said Kamber Wright, Grayson's mother, who was one week away from her due date of November 15 and her husband Matthew was at work when the phone started ringing.

    "I'd woken up to about four calls from him," said Kamber. "Apparently he'd been calling me for the last hour, and thankfully he did."

    "He saved our lives," she added.

    Kamber and the future Grayson got out safely from the Camp Fire, but like so many others, the family's house was destroyed.

    But the anxiety of losing everything in the fire began to intensify the pregnancy.

    "I was trying to stay non-stressed as much as I could because I knew the health of the baby is very important (and) to stay non-stressed," she said.

    Her water broke sooner than expected and with Feather River Hospital inoperable, Kamber had her first born at Enloe Medical Center instead.

    "I could feel the baby had dropped from where it was, and it seemed like I was ready to pop at any moment," Kamber said with a laugh.

    What was to be a smooth natural delivery turned into a 52-hour marathon, culminating with an unexpected C section.

    Life has settled for the Wright family and after staying with friends after the fire, they have purchased a Chico home and plan to have another child or two but hopefully with far less stress.

    The Camp Fire has created a surge in births at Enloe Medical Center.

    According to Enloe Medical Center the month of December usually sees between 90-100 births. But last December after the fire the number was 212.

    "With an increased volume we need more staff and more doctors," said Sandra Bernstein, the Director of Mother & Baby Care at Enloe.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...