MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Two properties cleared in first week of Camp Fire debris removal

KRCR

One week into the state's largest-ever debris removal program after the Camp Fire, a total of two properties have been cleared.

About 14,000 homes were destroyed in the Camp Fire. It's expected to take more than a year to clear more than a million tons of debris.

New numbers released by CalRecycle show, as of Tuesday, February 5, 143 crews are available to work, with each crew comprised of between three and five people.

So far, 6,226 tons of material has been removed, including 168 tons of metal and 4,985 tons of ash, debris and contaminated soil. They've also removed 1,073 tons of concrete.

Site assessments are complete on 2,711 properties, and 1,595 asbestos surveys are complete.

Asbestos containing material has been found on 515 sites, with 25 of them abated.

Lance Klug of CalRecycle said mobilization of the crews depends on the weather. Snow fell in Paradise and across the ridge early Tuesday. Klug said crews can work in light precipitation and it can be helpful because the sites need to be watered to avoid airborne ash. Crews may slow down when precipitation is stronger and may not be mobilized if conditions pose a safety risk.

To participate in the state’s program, property owners only need to complete and submit a Right-of-Entry (ROE) permit form, allowing access to state and local officials to begin clearing their property. Officials are allowing limited additional time for late submissions to accommodate survivors who are still working through this part of their recovery process. They will accept late submissions until Feb. 15.

Those who have opted-in will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the start of debris removal operations on their property. They may walk the property with crews before work begins, and be on site during the process.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending