Carr Fire Latest: Sunday, August 5 - 43% Contained, 160,049 Acres Burned
REDDING, Calif. —
Update 7:00 p.m. Sunday, August 5:
Cal Fire says the Carr Fire has burned 160,049 acres and is 43 percent contained. 4,766 fire personnel are assigned to the fire at this time.
At least 1,604 structures have been destroyed, 1,080 of which were residential structures.
1,229 structures remain threatened.
Cal Fire says today’s fire activity was tempered by smoke overhead. Heavy timber areas and steep drainages are still challenging firefighting efforts.
Crews will work through the night to mitigate potential spot fires over control lines.
Repopulation of residents affected by evacuations will continue as conditions permit.
Update 3:00 p.m. Sunday, August 5:
Cal Fire has announced it's next Carr Fire Incident community meeting conference.
The meeting will take place Monday, August 6, at 6:00 p.m. at the Lakehead Lions Club, located at 20814 Mammoth Drive in Lakehead.
According to Cal Fire, as of Sunday August 5, the Carr Fire is 41 percent contained and 154,524 acres. READ THE CARR FIRE LATEST INCIDENT REPORT HERE.
Officials said steep drainages in alignments with prevailing wind patterns have challenged crews along the west side of the fire.
Firefighters will work through the night to mitigate potential spot fires across control lines.
Officials added numerous firefighting air tankers from throughout the state are flying fire suppression missions as conditions allow.
1,073 homes have been destroyed, 190 have been damaged, and 1,358 remain threatened.
The following areas remain evacuated:
- Community of French Gulch
- Whiskeytown Park
- Swasey Drive from Highway 299 to Lower Springs
- Placer Road west from Diggins Road
- The Igo Community
- Old Shasta & Keswick communities west of Kewsick Dam
- Cloverdale Road from Placer Road to Clear Creek Road
- Placer Road to Platina Road to Buell Road which includes South Fork Road, Zogg Mine Road, Jenny Bird Lane, Horse Canyon Road and all homes west of Platina Road between Placer Road and Buell Road.
- All areas on South Fork Road from Zogg Mine Road to South Fork Road to include the areas of Bender Road, Serenity Drive, and Serenity Way.
- Trinity/Shasta County line at Buckhorn Summit Road west to Trinity Dam Road. All roads within this area north of Highway 299
- Highway 299 at Trinity Dam Blvd continuing north to Highway 3 including Deadwood Road, Jennings Gulch Road, Eastman Gulch Road and Lewiston Turn Pike Road. This is to include all homes and side streets east Trinity Dam Blvd within the Township of Lewiston.
- Highway 299 at Trinity Dam Road west to Douglas City
- Trinity Dam Blvd to Highway 3 including all homes within Lewiston area to Trail Drive, Red Lane, Old Highway, Lewiston Road, Ohio Lane Lowden Way, Ponderosa Pines, River Front Road, Wellock Road, S. Ponderosa Pine, Coffin Road, Dirt Road, Benvenuto Way, Browns Mountain Road, Mountain Springs Road, Jobe Way, Steelhead Circle, Rebel Road, Quail Point Road, Lockhart Ranch Road, Prut Road, Upper Salt Flat Road, Salt Flat Road, Goose Ranch Road, Dredger Lane, Bacham Lane, Partridge Lane, Shady Lane, River Rock Road, Old Oak Road, Gulch Road, and Lewiston Turn Pike Road.
The following road closures remain in place:
- Highway 299 from Buenaventura Blvd to Buckhorn Summit
- Texas Springs at Placer Road *residents only*
- Buckhorn Summit at Highway 299 (eastbound)
- Clear Creek Road at Cloverdale Lane
- Gas Point Road at Clear Creek Road
- Highway 299 at Buckhorn Summit
- Lower Springs Road at Swasey Drive
- Swasey Drive and Placer Road
- Weseman Road at Powerline Road
- Quartz Hill Road at Counter
- Platina Road at Bully Choop
- Keswick Dam Blvd just west of Nash Road
- Keswick Dam Blvd at Buenaventura Blvd
- Quartz Hill at Powerline Drive
- Quartz Hill Road at Snow Lane
- Quartz Hill at Elk Drive
- Highway 299 at Buenaventura Blvd
- Quartz Hill at Harlan Drive
- Highway 299 at Lower Springs Road
- Swasey Drive and Lower Springs Road
- Placer Road at Diggins Road
- Placer Road at Chapparal Drive
- Montgomery Ranch Road at Placer Road
CITY OF REDDING
- Buenaventura at Keswick
- Buenaventura and Highway 299
- Old Highway at Poker Bar Road
- Highway 299 at Poker Bar Road (Poker Bar Road is open)
- Rush Creek Road east of China Grade
- Trinity Dam Blvd at Fairview Marina Drive
- Browns Mountain Road at Lewiston Road
A local assistance center has been opened at Shasta High School, located at 2500 Eureka Way. It will be open from August 2 through August 8 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.