SISKIYOU COUNTY, Calif. — The Mountain Fire has reached 20% containment after burning over 11,000 acres in Siskiyou County. CAL FIRE officials in Siskiyou County is still investigating the fire's origin and, in a press release on Monday night, asked the public for any information available.
After starting three days ago, on Sept. 2, 2022, the Mountain Fire has burned 11,464 acres roughly 9 miles southwest of the community of Gazelle.
However, peace officers with CAL FIRE announced they are seeking information from the public regarding the fire's cause. Anyone with information is asked to contact them at (530) 842-1022.
RELATED CONTENT | "Chaos and a lot of destruction," Lake Shastina hit hard by Mill Fire
In Monday evening's fire update, the CAL FIRE Siskiyou-Unit reported gusts of wind up to 15 mph on the fire's edge, which resulted in spotting and additional fire growth. They said efforts to construct a containment line on the fire are being challenged by steep terrain, varying vegetation and the continued hot and dry weather conditions in the area. However, CAL FIRE SKU said they have begun damage assessments and expect additional resources on Tuesday.
The Mountain Fire is burning southwest of Gazelle in Siskiyou County, adjacent to the Mill Fire. The Mill Fire is burning to the east of the Mountain Fire, in the Lake Shastina, Edgewood and Weed communities. According to CAL FIRE, the Mill Fire was last confirmed to be burning 4,263 acres at 55% containment.
Multiple evacuations are in place for the Mountain Fire in Siskiyou County.
Mountain Fire Evacuation Orders:
- SIS-2218: North of McConaughy Gulch Road and Noyes Valley Road; South of Cottonwood Road and East Road; East of Hartstrand Road; West of Scarface Road.
- SIS-5102-B: North of Gazelle Callahan Road and Macks Gulch Road; South of Cram Gulch Road and Scarface Road; West of Scarface Road.
- SIS-5203: North of Nat'l Forest Development Road 41n03; South of Gazelle Callahan Road; West of Old Hwy 99 S.
- SIS-2337-A: North of Gazelle Callahan Road; South of Gazelle Callahan Road and Nat'l Forest Development Road 41n03; East of Meadow Gulch and Meadow Gulch Road; West of Nat'l Forest Development Road 41n03 and Nat'l Forest Development Road 41n07.
- SIS-2334-B: North of Noyes Valley Road; South of Noyes Valley Road; East of Bear Cat Road; West of Noyes Valley Road.
- SIS-2331-A: North of Bear Cat Road; South of McConaughy Gulch Road; East and West of Bear Cat Road.
Mountain Fire Evacuation Warnings:
- SIS-5102-A: North of Gazelle Callahan Road and Old Hwy 99 S; South of Scarface Road; East of Macks Gulch Road; West of Old Hwy 99 S.
- SIS-3707: North of West Louie Road and Scarface Road; South of Truttman Lane; East of Cram Gulch Road; West of Cascade Wonderland Highway.
- SIS-3704: North of Scarface Road; South of Cascade Wonderland Highway and Memory Lane; East of Schulmeyer Road and Cottonwood Road; West of Cram Gulch Road.
- SIS-2126: North of Scarface Road and Cottonwood Road; South of Fort Jones Road; East of Air Force Way and Fort Jones Road; West of Cottonwood Road and Cottonwood Creek Road.
- SIS-2215: North of McConaughy Gulch Road and Eastside Road; South of Mineral Range Road and Scarface Road; East of Eastside Road; West of Hamlin Gulch Road.
- SIS-2331-B: North of East Callahan Road and Noyes Valley Road; South and East of McConaughy Gulch Road; South of Bear Cat Road.
- SIS-2334-A: North of Gazelle Callahan Road, McKeen Road and CA Hwy 3; South of Bear Cat Road and Noyes Valley Road; West of Noyes Valley Road.
- SIS-2337-B: North of Nat'l Forest Development Road 40n08; South of Gazelle Callahan Road; East of Noyes Valley Road and Gazelle Callahan Road.
- Gazelle Callahan Road is closed at Highway 99
- Gazelle Callahan Road is closed at Highway 3
- Gazelle Callahan Road is closed at Macks Gulch Road.
View the county's Evacuation Zone Map, HERE.