REDDING, Calif. — A Shasta County grade school has canceled class for Monday, October 18, for a planned school walkout. The staff tells KRCR this is aimed at California's new COVID vaccine mandate for all public and private schools.
An Oak Run Elementary official declined KRCR’s offer to do an on-camera interview Tuesday afternoon after KRCR’s Daisy Caballero called their office to confirm an email a parent sent into our newsroom. However, they did confirm the contents of the email.
Parents, educators, and students across the U.S. will engage in peaceful noncompliance activities to remind government officials that individuals should have the final say when it comes to their health.
Chief Business Officer at Oak Run, Tiffany Fulkerson, told KRCR their school does not agree with Governor Newsom’s recent school vaccine mandate. She said her small school would not survive.
Fulkerson says the Oak Run school has 11 staff members and roughly 60 students, all of whom would need to be vaccinated to attend in-person instruction once the mandate is in place.
Newsom explained earlier that the mandate will take place in two phases. The first phase will require all children in grades 7-12 to get vaccinated along with all school staff. While students in grades K-6 will be required in the second phase.
To report errors or issues with this article please email the editorial team.