Redding IHOP closed Thursday after fire


    KRCR

    The Redding IHOP will be closed Thursday following a fire at the restaurant late Wednesday night.

    According to the Redding Fire Department, firefighters responded to the reported structure fire at 11:14 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they saw moderate smoke coming from the roof of the building and a small fire in the kitchen.

    Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and ventilated the building due to it being filled with a large amount of smoke.

    There was no one inside the restaurant at the time of the fire and fire officials determined the fire was caused by one of the gas operated griddles in the kitchen being left on after the restaurant had closed.

    Officials said the heat from the griddle ignited a grease fire and then spread. The fire suppression system above the griddle activated and helped extinguish most of the fire before firefighters arrived.

    The fire cause moderate damage to the cooking and serving areas in the kitchen and the smoke caused damage to the remainder of the building.

    The manager of the restaurant said before they can reopen they must complete repairs. It is unknown at this time when the restaurant will reopen.



    News In Photos

      Loading ...