MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Propane leak causes trailer to explode, injuring two

Courtesy: Ron Cordell

An RV caught fire Thursday morning after a propane leak inside the trailer caused it to explode. Firefighters were on scene just before 5 a.m. Thursday morning. It happened in the parking lot of the 99 cent store on Hilltop Drive in Redding.

Fire officials said they were able to put out the fire in about 20 minutes but two people were burned in the explosion. A man and woman in their mid 50s were living in the travel trailer. The man has second and third degree burns on about 40 percent of his body. The woman has minor burns on her head. She refused treatment while the man was taken to the hospital.

The investigation so far showed that when the propane exploded, it blew out the walls and took off the siding, before the trailer caught fire. Crews are looking for what ignited the propane. They said the trailer is a total loss.

Officials also noted the couple was not living in the home as a result of either the Camp Fire or the Carr Fire.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending